Monday, April 30, 2012

Bacon Chocolate Cupcakes

Bacon Chocolate Cupcakes

I first saw bacon cupcakes on Food Network's Unwrapped and I said to myself, " I gotta try that!" Unfortunately, none of the bakeries in the island make them. Why? Because bacon, (and anything pork), is considered "unclean" this part of the world so anything with pork bacon is impossible to find in any of the mainstream restos in the country.

But, all hope is not lost. Thankfully, I can get bacon in the "unclean" section of specialty groceries, (because there are expats like me who likes them pork! har har). So, to satisfy my curiosity and craving I made some for myself, on my birthday! Oh yeah, I bake 'em cake and ate 'em too!

So, with a little bit of research, I found the recipe to work with and adapted it. For the dark chocolate bacon cupcakes, I used the recipe from www.allrecipes.com; and for the chocolate ganache, I used my favorite ganache recipe by Ina Garten. You may follow the links that will lead you to the pages of the original recipes or you can use my version. I call it Bacon Chocolate Cupcakes-- dark chocolate cupcakes with bacon, topped with dark chocolate ganache sprinkled with crispy bacon bits.

Difficulty: medium

Prep Time: 20 mins
Cooking/ Baking Time: 50 mins - 1 hr 40 mins
Total Time: 1 hr 10 mins - 2 hrs, depending on how many cupcake pans your oven can accommodate

Ingredients:

Dark Chocolate Cupcakes

20 slices smoked bacon
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 large eggs
1 cup cold, strong, brewed coffee
1 cup buttermilk*
1/2 cup vegetable oil

*Note: to make homemade buttermilk, put 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice in a measuring cup. Fill in the cup with full cream milk up to 1 cup. Let it stand for 5 minutes. You will notice that the milk will curdle a bit. Stir and use as directed.

Chocolate Ganache

8 ounces dark chocolate, roughly chopped
1/2 cup double cream
1 teaspoon instant coffee granules

Directions:

For the Bacon Dark Chocolate Cupcakes:

1. Preheat oven to 190*C.

2. On a skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until brown and crisp. Dice and set aside.

3. In a stand mixer, sift together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add eggs, coffee, buttermilk and oil. Using a paddle attachment, mix all the ingredients over medium speed.

4. Line the cupcake pans with cupcake liners. Use half of the bacon bits and sprinkle about 1 tbsp on each cupcake liners. Pour batter over the bacon bits and fill the cups about 2/3 of the way. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 - 25 minutes. Cool completely.

For the Dark Chocolate Ganache:

1. In a double boiler, mix the chocolate, cream and instant coffee and cook over simmering water until smooth, stirring occasionally.

To assemble:

1. Top the cupcakes with dark chocolate ganache and top with the remaining bacon bits. Best served warm.


Makes 36 cupcakes

If you like the recipes in my Barefoot Contessa Birthday Brunch, here are the links:
1. Hasselback Potatoes
2. Sauteed Mushrooms with Garlic and Herbs
3. Green & Sunny Skillet
4. Flavored Butter
5. Roasted Garlic Spread (posting soon!)
6. Bacon Chocolate Cupcakes
7. Summer Iced Green Tea (posting soon!)


13 April 2012
Home-cooked Meals

No comments:

Post a Comment