Tonight, I made his favorite treat, chocolate chip cookies. What he didn't know is I added mashed carrots in it. I don't think he can tell that there's carrot in them, except for the tiny specks of orange in the cookie. And it helped the cookie to stay moist and chewy. Even my husband loved it!
Here's the recipe for this healthy, yummy treat.
2 cups + 2 tbsp all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted and cooled to near room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup mashed carrots
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 160*C.
2. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
3. Roughly chop 1 medium-sized carrot and steam until tender. Mash. Cool to room temperature.
4. In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
5. In a stand mixer, mix butter and sugar in low speed. Beat in the egg, egg yolk and vanilla until combined. Gradually add dry ingredients. Mix in the mashed carrots and 1 cup of the chocolate chip.
6. Scoop 1 tbsp of cookie dough on to the baking sheet. From the remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips, add a few morsels of chips on top of the cookie dough. Depending on the size of your baking sheet, you can line 9-12 cookie dough, 1 1/2 inch apart.
7. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the edges of the cookies are brown.
8. Cool the cookie on the sheets for at least 15 minutes.
Makes 36 cookies.
30 March 2012