Friday, May 9, 2014

Sautéed Corn with Chimichurri


Sautéed Corn with Chimichurri I www.haideekitchen.blogspot.com 

Well, hello my lovelies. Did you miss me? I know it's been a while since my last post. I haven't been blogging as much as I used to. My weekdays are hectic balancing act between work and school runs and lately our weekends are booked with barbecues, karting, and parties with friends...not that I'm complaining. It's just that I couldn't find time to work on my craft...cooking and photography.

I can't believe it's more than 2 years since I started this little project! Haidee's Kitchen was just intended to be as my online notes on the recipes I have loved so I don't forget them. I can't believe it almost reached 60K views as of writing this post. So thank you for the support, you're all awesome!

So what have I been up to lately? Well, I have started a new project. Ok, let's rewind that. At the beginning of this year I was thinking what could be my 2014 project. 2012 was when I started this blog, 2013 was my organic garden which is thriving even with this extreme gulf summer heat and is producing more than what my family can consume.

Oregano I Sautéed Corn with Chimichurri I www.haideekitchen.blogspot.com 

I thought of a million things to do for this year, (exagg!)... I know I sound like I'm contradicting myself as I began my post with my excuse on why I haven't had time to post sooner. But I believe you can always find time for the things you love. So lately, my other loves were given priority. But today, this very minute, you have my full attention. Yes, I love y'all too!

Also, I believe one should never stop learning, lest you stop growing. And learning new things is important to me. I'm blessed to have a supporting husband who are supportive with my personal pursuit. He encourages that I pursue my passion... (except when I told him I want to learn pottery. He begged me not to, saying we don't have more space for my works of art, LOL! He's probably right).

So 2012 was Project Food Blog, 2013 was Project Organic Garden and 2014 is Project Health...I'm taking better care of me.

It's amazing that the more I learn about food, the more I learn that every morsel that goes into your body makes a big difference. And the more I learn about real food, the kinder I become to my body. I try to stay away from processed food and choose a healthier option. I also become aware that not everything advertised as good are actually good. No Calorie Artificial Sweetener? No thank you. I'd take the muscovado sugar instead if there are no better option. And please don't ask me how much calorie is packed in my sandwich, I don't have time for that and I absolutely think it is pointless. I also am not into those fad diet. Sure, with my background in physiotherapy and personal training I know how to lose 5kg in 2 weeks, but do I really want to subject my body to that kind of stress just to fit into a dress? I don't think so. So I've decided to take the longer route to weight loss, to listen to my body and be patient that over time I will achieve my goal. I have decided to start my yoga practice...everyday.

Yes, I committed to myself to do yoga everyday whether I feel like it or not. Whether I feel strong, or flexible, or tired. Because they say it takes 21 days to form a habit. And that's what I'm trying to develop, a habit that will eventually turn into a life style.

And all my ongoing "projects" are kind of inter-related. Diet and exercise are both essential to weight loss. So the food that I mostly prepare at home are healthy or healthier versions of the food that I love. But don't get me wrong, I still love them chocolate cake!

I have been getting inspiration from fellow foodies. The book that I have been devouring now is the beautifully written and visually delicious cookbook by Gwyneth Paltrow, "It's All Good". Most of her meals are simple and yet so flavorful and satisfying.

Today, I'm sharing a dish inspired my her recipe "Sauteed Corn with Chimichurri". I said inspired because I made it with my own version of chimichurri with fresh oregano picked from my garden and used canned corn instead of fresh because that was what I had in the pantry.

Have you tried chimichurri? It's almost the same as pesto, but instead of cheese you replace it with the heat of jalapeno. I like to char the jalapeno a bit to add more depth of flavor. My version is one part oregano, 1 part cilantro for more contrasting flavor. If you want the oregano to stand our, feel free to swap it with flat leaf parsley.

Charred Jalapeno I Sautéed Corn with Chimichurri I www.haideekitchen.blogspot.com 


The chimichurri is good as condiment for meat, especially steak. But it is lovely too when added on corn and serve it as a side dish or as a satisfying vegan meal. I think I had me 2 helpings when I cooked it for this shoot. And yet, I don't feel guilty, 'coz "it's all good."

Oregano I Sautéed Corn with Chimichurri I www.haideekitchen.blogspot.com 

Sautéed Corn with Chimichurri I www.haideekitchen.blogspot.com 



Sauteed Corn with Chimichurri

Difficulty: Easy

Cooking Time: 5-10 minutes

Ingredients:
2 x 400g canned corn (drained weight 280g)
4 tbsp chimichurri*
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
freshly ground sea salt and black pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Heat a cast iron skillet. Pour in the EVOO

2. Add the corn, sautéing occasionally. This will allow the corn to develop a nice char, about 5-8 minutes. Do not overcook; the corn should still be plump and juicy.

3. Take the skillet off the heat and mix-in the chimichurri. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper to your liking.


For the Chimichurri*

Prep Time: 15-20 minutes

Ingredients:
1 packed cup fresh oregano leaves
1 packed cup fresh cilantro or flat leaf parsley leaf
1 medium jalapeno, charred, seeded and chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup EVOO
3 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp coarse sea salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
1. Pulse all the ingredients together in a food processor. Add more EVOO if it's too dry. Let it sit for a couple of minutes before using. Keep the rest in a tight-lid jar and store in the fridge for 2 weeks or up to 3 months in the freezer.

Oregano I Sautéed Corn with Chimichurri I www.haideekitchen.blogspot.com 
Chimichurri, 03 May 2014
Haidee's Kitchen

All photos in this post taken using iPhone5.

6 comments:

  1. Hi I like your blog and wanted to invite you to join www.recipebyday.com a directory of recipes where you just have to register your blog and appear links to your recipes for you to increase your visits. Regards and Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the invite. Will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very much impressed with your post. Your blog is really brilliant with your quality content.

    pure cambogia slim

    ReplyDelete